Saturday, April 21, 2012

T3 sleeper question...

Hello,



I am planning to book through SNCF, however, when %26quot;playing%26quot; around with RailEurope, after keying in 2 adults and 2 children, it offered a !st class T3 sleeper on the Paris-Florence train. Can a T3 accommodate 4 people? Just curious... Thanks in advance for your consideration.



P.S. our children take up as much space as adults.........




|||



That%26#39;s curious . . . because when I experimented with raileurope for a Paris-Munich night train, I wanted a 2nd class T-3 (for 3 of us) but the pop-up options only offered 4- or 6-person couchettes. I%26#39;m sure this is why Raileurope gets so roundly %26quot;railed%26quot; against here.





The problem with sncf so far, is that it keeps giving me a %26quot;technical error has occurred, try again later%26#39; message just when I%26#39;m about to complete the transaction. I%26#39;ll keep trying for now, but I may end up using the debahn nachtzugreise site to purchase the tickets. They%26#39;re more expensive than on sncf, but at least I should be able to print the tickects myself.




|||



Hi Sinead,





A T3 will not fits 4 people. You will need a T4 or two 1st class doubles, which is what I booked. A T4 is now apparently considered a 1st class couchette. When you pick the price option you want click on %26quot;choisir ma place%26quot; and it will give you the option to chage your sleeping arrangement.




|||



I just ran a quick check on SNCF looking for a T3 compartment for the Muich night train on July 3. I did not have any problem with the site. The fare I found (I requested fares for three adults since I din%26#39;t know the ages of your family) was 417€. I did actually find cheaper options in first class but you would ahve to split your family and one of you would *probably* be sharing a cabin with a stranger. A double and single in first class would have cost more.



As for the technical error problem with SNCF I think the issue here is that the system is simply overloaded. The July fares are becoming available now and July is of course an enormously heavy travel period not just for visitors but for the French themselves.



And no, you cannot fit four people in a T3 compartment. Had you attempted to book this I think you would have found that one of you would have been assigned to a shared compartment. I don%26#39;t think you could have booked only 3 places for four people. And in my experience kids generally require about twisce as much space as adults between the ages of 6 and 20! ;-)




|||



BTW PJHistor, I don%26#39;t know if you have considered and rejected this, but Air Berlin flies To Munich from ORY and I think also CDG. I just checked fares for early July from ORY and found a range from 29€ to 79€ including taxes.



www.airberlin.com




|||



Thanks Irish,





I had looked at Airberlin before and didn%26#39;t think the scheduling would work for us, but the price difference is significant enough that maybe we should make it work. Nice tip




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, August 29, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment