Tuesday, April 24, 2012

4 days between Paris and Nice

Hi,





I will be going to France for the first time in May! I%26#39;m planning to spend one week in Paris and then my last 3 days (16 days total) in Nice. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I should go in between? I was thinking about seeing some of the chateaux in the Loire River Valley, but I don%26#39;t want to drive (which seems to be the most convenient way to see them?). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!




|||



I%26#39;d really recommend that you reconsider the decision not to drive. A car opens up so much more of the country to you. Driving in France is not difficult and the roads are well engineered and signposting (once you get the hang of the conventions) very good. You are right that by far the easiest way to explore the Loire valley and see the châteaux would be by car. The same goes for a number of other areas you might consider, specifically including Burgundy.



That said, if you are comfortable with the idea of seeing fewer sights but rather just hanging out and getting the feel of a particular small town or village and perhaps the area close by you can do a lot just walking or with a rented bike. And there are barge trips you might consider in Burgundy among other places.



If you are heading for Nice and want to see some sights in a splendid area between your stay in Paris and your time in Nice I would probably suggest a few days in Avignon from which you can easily get by train to Arles, Nîmes, Tarascon, Marseille, Aix-en-Provence, Orange and Isle-sur-la-Sorgue in an hour or less. Buses will take you to other places close by including the Pont du Gard and St. Rémy. But without a car you will have a hard time getting to the lovely Lubéron villages and the fascinating Camargue — among other places.



Whatever you decide with 16 days to play with you should be able to put together a splendid trip! Enjoy!




|||



Thanks for your advice! I%26#39;m just not a great driver, and I%26#39;ll be traveling alone, so I am inclined to err on the side of safety. If I want to book a train ticket from Paris to Avignon, can I do that while I%26#39;m in Paris, or should I book one now? Is there a hotel that you%26#39;d recommend in Avignon? I%26#39;m looking at either an Ibis or Hotel Medieval--something that is reasonably priced (I%26#39;m a student).




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, August 29, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment