Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Am I crazy...

For thinking I%26#39;ll be able to manage 2 (smallish) suitcases plus my carry-on on the RER and Metro?





Going from CDG to Gare de Lyon to pick up the TGV. Flight arrives in at 740am. TGV leaves at 1145am. I%26#39;m kind of on a budget or else I%26#39;d definitely opt for the taxi!!




|||



Hmmmmm.....I would find that difficult. Seems a bit too much to try to manage IMO. Is that all just for you? Can you condense a bit so you%26#39;re not taking so many bags?




|||



If the suitcases can be rolled behind you and they aren%26#39;t too big, and the carry on can be slung over a shoulder, and you don%26#39;t mind a bit of frustration and sweat, you can probably do it. In my student days I did more than that and survived!





Les




|||



I agree with the previous poster. If your suitcases are wheeled I guess you could put the carry-on on top of one and do a push-pull deal but gad what a awkward, and probably dangerous, mess. Any possibility of getting a larger wheeled suitcase? We found that going from a 20%26quot; to a 26%26quot; wheeled case made a huge difference in capacity for extended trips and was just about as easy to handle.




|||



Hard work, but do-able, plenty of walking between RER, metro and station. Depends how much you want to save 40euros.







Zas




|||



You may be way ahead of me on this one, but I thought I%26#39;d chime in just to make sure you know there%26#39;s a TGV station at Charles de Gaulle. If you%26#39;re planning to catch one of the trains that goes through there, then that would make it easy.




|||



There are a *few* direct TGVs from CDG to Dijon, but I don%26#39;t think there is one at a time that will work for you. I will take a look at the timetables later this evening (the SNCF site is acting up right now) and get back to you if I am wrong.



But there is no need for you to struggle with your suitcases through the RER and métro (with a change, yet) to get to Gare de Lyon. Air France has a coach that will take you there direct and in comfort with your luggage safely stowed in the baggage compartment. It won%26#39;t even cost you much more than the RER particularly if you take it both ways.



www.carsairfrance.com




|||



Hmm. could you do it?



Of course you could,,



but I would feel like ahad a big sign on my back that said %26quot;pickpocket me I am overloaded and distracted%26quot;





I would really consider the taxi or the Air France shuttle.





An old saying is %26quot;penny wise pound foolish%26quot;




|||



I took my own largeish suitcase and backpack from Gatwick to the Eurostar and from Gare du Nord to Courbevoie in the same day all on my own. It can be done... just be ready for grunt work! The Metro is mostly stairs, which means picking up the suitcase and carrying it. You certainly won%26#39;t be the only person on the Metro with suitcases. But yes, do be careful of your backpack. Take it off while on the train, or even carry it in front of your (like carrying a baby) while walking to keep a better eye on it.




|||



Thank you all for your suggestions. I do know that there%26#39;s a direct TGV train to Dijon from CDG but it leaves at 7pm...12 hours after I arrive. I%26#39;m going to look into the Air France shuttle.





My carry-on is a shoulder bag, the other 2 are on wheels. I know it%26#39;s easier to bring one suitcase, but I always come dangerously close to my 50 lb limit every time I travel. Plus I know I%26#39;ll be coming home with all sorts of goodies to make it even worse.





I%26#39;m not used to travelling for 8 days and having to dress business casual for the conference only adds to my issues. I%26#39;m trying to save money bec I%26#39;m a grad student taking advantage of a research conference to see Paris while I%26#39;m in the country. I may be coming into more money for my trip via travel awards, in which case I%26#39;ll be all over the taxi!





Do you think I have plenty of time between my flight arriving and getting to Gare de Lyon? I think 4 hours %26quot;should%26quot; be enough but you never know!





Thanks again everyone!




|||



Yes, you have tons of time.



Take the coach. Even if you do have all that extra cash a taxi really won%26#39;t be any more convenient. At most it will save you a few minutes sitting around waiting while the coach makes other pick-up stops. There are better things to spend that extra cash on in both Dijon and Paris!

No comments:

Post a Comment