Tuesday, April 24, 2012

places to visit during barging on canal du midi

We have rented a barge for the beginning of June for a week (Sat. Sat.) barge sailing on canal du midi. The starting point is Columbiers and we have 2 sailing options - towards Narbonne or towards Carcassonne (we will visit the city not sailed to, on the friday before taking the barge, so the cities themselves are not of the issue). My questions are:



1) which path is better and what are the pro%26#39;s and con%26#39;s of each





2) places to visit along the sail (I know that it will be written it the renting company book, but I prefer opinions from private people with their own test and bias..). I believe we will have bicycles but do not plan to cycle too much unless it is a must-to-see..





3) places to eat, not necessarily on the shore of the canal. We are looking for places with uniqueness, not necessary fency (and expensive) but with a taste to remember.





Thanks in advance




|||



arkill,





Have you done a forum search? Just type %26quot;canal du Midi%26quot; in the search window. Much has already been written on this subject. The search function will give you lots of information; instantly.




|||



Sarastro, of course I did. I did found a lot of information but not exactly or directly responses to my questions.




|||



OK





I assume you are renting from Rive de France. Was a one way rental not available? The return portion of an out and back is very anti climatic and if possible, I highly recommend a one way trip, this keeps everything very fresh and constantly new. I read somewhere recently that a rental company cautions against one way trips stating it often requires a hurried pace due to the lengthy distance between ports. I have done 8 or so one ways and never found this to be the case (well maybe in the Nivernais but there is no other way to see this Burgundy canal portion). I did only one out and back and shall not do another.





If we are working only with an out and back, I recommend you proceed towards Carcassonne, the 6 locks of the Fonseranes take a lot of time through which to pass and you%26#39;ll need to do this twice if you proceed east. The main draw eastward is the Etang du Thau and it is indeed very interesting to cross but save it for another time; there is much to see along the canal du Midi.





I am afraid I have already written about the restaurants and side trips which I prefer along this route (I guess my narratives were not sufficiently compelling to answer your basic questions as you have already searched through the information).





I shall add to avoid the temptation to travel the canal de la Robine, it has disappointed many voyages (including myself).





You should have a very memorable vacation; most people really enjoy canal travel.




|||



Sarastro Shalom,





I think I rent from Hapimag (some kind of club that the couple we go with are members).



Actually, I had asked the same question regarding one way trip. we are still trying to figure it out. If positive - it will be a big advantage, otherwise we%26#39;ll take what is offerred (I read it in one of the forum posts..)



I am keen to take your advice and to head towards Carcassonne. In case we have to do a round trip, can we get to the city, tour it for a bout a day and still be back on time in Colombiers without hyrrying it up all the way (we hate to hurry on vacations..). If not, we can tour the city on the day before saturday and just go as far as we reach to have reasonable time to return.



I apologize for repeating the question on restaurants andside trips. If you can direct me to the exact note, I will appreciate it very much. I always find such %26quot;non-objective%26quot; recommendations much better than the formal publications of tourist offices. I am note sure though that I saw your not but I will try again anyway.






|||



Here are just a few earlier posts about the Canal du Midi:





http://tinyurl.com/yf36dz



http://tinyurl.com/yonw9r



http://tinyurl.com/2y9feb



http://tinyurl.com/27y45y



http://tinyurl.com/3yna96




|||



sarastro, I had browsed the forum again and actually found the exchange of info from the beginning of March. After reading it again, I recalled that I had even printed it our for the information it includes. The point wasthat the path in question there is not similar to mine and thus I could not fully recognize the small villages on the way. Now I already know a little bit more about the route (most probavly towards carcassonne as you suggested..). Tomorrow I will to put the names on a map ans see if I need more information.





I did post some more question on the expected ditance one can cover. We do not like to rush on vacation, so I really want to be sure for example if I should visit Carcassonne before the sail ar I will have enough time.





The wine seller in Trebes already intriques me. I am looking forward to see him. And also the %26quot;chef%26quot; story in Trebes. Such things is really what it is all about..




|||



Sarastro, as you can see, I took your comment regarding browsing the forum seriously. So, Yesterday I had put the villages mentioned in the March posts on a map of the area and found that:



1) Bram %26amp; Castelnaydary are both west to Carcassonne, probable out of our reach in case we are committed to return the barge to Cokumbiers.



2) Etang du Thau, Marseiilan, Meze are to the east - probably not reachable for us.



3) I will definitely consider your recommendations for Ventenac; Homps (can we bike to minerve??. We will probably rent bikes with the barge); Trebes and Capestang





The main problem is that I have no idea about the distance we can cover for both alternatives (one way or round trip), so I do not know which places I can visit during the sail.





As to our preferences, they are:



a) not to rush - distance is not a priority (I just want to know what we can do in order to plan the pre- and post barging days)



b) we like good wine, and purchasing it on the canal will be a bonus. The restaurant serving Sangria in Carcassonne is already on my list..



c) we like to explore restaurants, but only those that reveal the tests of the region - not necessary fency and expensive (touristic).



d) the rest is spontaneous - we enjoy moments and environments.





I had written many posts responding to the one you had posted Friday. I hope you can respond to all of them.




|||



Arkhill





It will be necessary to adapt the previously posted information to suit your particular itinerary.





1. Minerve is in the mountains and not really available by bicycle but worth the price of a taxi to visit there. I do not remember a taxi being really that expensive. There are several good restaurants in Minerve - excellent for lunch.





2. Bicycles are a good way to see more of the places you stop to visit. Additionally it%26#39;s wonderful exercise and many enjoy just following the boat by biking along the canal next to it. This route has a large number of nearby facilities and we use bikes every morning to get the croissant and pain au chocolat.





3. The distances that one travels depend greatly on how many locks there are and how fast you can go through them. The canal du Midi is very popular and there will be a large number of people who do not really know how to handle a boat. The crowds and experience level of the sailors make a large difference in the time required to pass through the locks. The company from which you rent your boat can give you excellent advice about a possible itinerary.





4. As for restaurants, the canal guide provided by the rental company outlines many of the best places to eat. That, along with those that I have recommended, as well as the Michelin Red Guide should give you more than enough excellent places. If you can, I recommend calling in advance for some of the better restaurants. This is a courtesy the French restaurant operators really appreciate. It%26#39;s also reassuring to know you%26#39;ll be welcomed when you arrive at the door (in June it is possible some restaurants will be crowded).




|||



Sarastro, thanks so much. I am now trying to find out with the renting company what are my options. Than I will make ny own itinerary. At least one thing I had decided - not to take the extenion to Narbonne.





I had found that Minerve is about 12 km. from Homps. Biking there is not to save money but maybe to see the country-sides. All depends on available time and sailing pace. I want to take a day in Carcassonne, either before of sail or during.





Using bikes for fresh food in the mornings goes without saying.




|||



Suggest Narbonne, onto the seaside at port la Nouvelle and Back , Carcassonne is a long way there and back in a week, and the port of carcassonne is noisy and has many cars driving around it and its outside a busy railway station, the old city of carcassonne is a good 20 minute cycle, half an hour on the rather difficult to use midget bikes that you get on a rental boat.



Dining, Les Platanes at Poilhes la Romaine on the square by the old tree, the Orme de Sully, good value, excellent menu and half a days trip up the canal from Colombiers.

No comments:

Post a Comment