Saturday, April 21, 2012

Etiquette Question

Is it common etiquette in Paris (or France) for a man to open a door for a woman ?? I have had a couple uncomfortable moments when I was waiting for a man behind me to open the door for me and they DID NOT, so I quickly grabbed the door. I was wanting to know if it is less common than in the U.S. for a woman to expect the door to be opened for us- by strangers OR with someone you know.





I would welcome any other similar etiquette comments.



Thanks y%26#39;all !!




|||



Etiquette in most of the world is not to _expect_ people to do things for you that you could do for yourself. I don%26#39;t know anywhere where a woman can wait secure in the knowledge the next man to arrive will open the door for her........ Especially if it is a stranger.





This not only goes for Paris, it goes for London, Sydney, Seoul, and was also Mrs Wiz%26#39;s experience in New York.




|||



Hi waytogogirl, I%26#39;ve noticed that happens in the US at least where I live. In fact, common courtesies seem to be disappearing quickly and has been replaced by a %26#39;me first%26#39; attitude. So I don%26#39;t expect anyone especially a man to open a door for me. I%26#39;d rather do the job myself.




|||



Well, we - the liberated 20th century working girls - have been asking for it ourselves - haven%26#39;t we ? I am always delighted and surprised if I come across a gentleman whose does these things (opens the door, pays the restaurant bill) - but I certainly don%26#39;t expect it.








|||



I would not %26quot;expect%26quot; it anywhere in the world. When it happens, I%26#39;m just happily surprised (in my experience, this does not occur more frequently in the US). Sometimes, it makes sense that women hold the door for men as well (guys who are in an obvious rush or carrying stuff ~ you usually get to enjoy a quick mutual smile ~ this works well for other women too, lol). And it goes without saying, that one always! opens the door for elderly people.




|||



This is a slightly different topic, but here at home more women than men offer their subway seats to pregnant ladies.




|||



paris 1204 ~ absolutely! And I love how European kids quickly give up their seats for most anyone, in more need than themselves. (This may be true in the US too ~ I don%26#39;t use public transport when I%26#39;m there).




|||



paris_1204, exactly where is %26quot;here at home%26quot;?





I am old enough to remember when many if not most women would have taken offense at the notion that they either needed or wanted a man to open a door for them, especially a total stranger. That said, I%26#39;m also old enough that I generally do it when it seems the obvious thing to do.



Autres temps, autres moeurs...




|||



Hi IrishRovr home is the US.




|||



Irish - and I can assure you that you will earn a lot of cookiepoints with most females, no matter how old or young we are. Everybody loves to be pampered ......




|||



Especially me, Gitte.

No comments:

Post a Comment