Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Returning a rental car to Gare Montparnasse

My Wife, Daughter and I are traveling to Europe this summer. One leg of our itinerary has us arriving in Paris by car. I have chosen to drop the car at the Alamo Rental Return at Gare Montparnasse. We will be arriving directly from Beaune and I would like to drive straight to the rental return and get rid of the car as soon as possible. I have phoned Alamo and emailed them twice. All they can tell me is to go to the counter in Hall Pasture in the train Station. They are not able to tell me where to park other than to “follow the signs”. Can anyone help me with some directions to the rental return parking lot? I have detailed maps, GPS etc. Any information would be helpful. I am sure that I will be able to figure it out when I am there, but I want to avoid driving around as much as possible.





Thank-you






|||



Alamo mention that the rental agencies are in the %26quot;Hall Pasteur%26quot;, and it appears that their parking is at the Parking Pasteur at 17, boulevard Vaugirard, 75015 Paris.





You can go to https://www.resaplace.com/ and select %26quot;Paris%26quot; and %26quot;Gare Montparnasse Pasteur%26quot;. There%26#39;s a little map of the area - but here it looks like the entrance to the parking is at the Rue du Pont des cinq Martyrs.




|||



We found that returning our rental at Gare Montparnasse was a mistake. We used a different rental company, and we were told to park on the first level of the Pasteur Hall. There were no signs to help us, but we parked in what seemed like the first level of a place where just anyone parks his car. Again I repeat........we saw no signs letting us know that car rental returns should park there.. We had been given no instructions as to where to return the keys, etc. and my husband (using his cell phone) called them a number of times, and they tried to explain where we were supposed to go, but their English was hard to understand, and in the end my husband found a policeman, handed him his cellphone, and asked him to call them and get details. Then we had to schlep our suitcases in unbearable heat and walk to the main hall of the station where we eventually found the rental company after asking around. Then it turned out that we hadn%26#39;t parked in the correct spot, so my husband had to walk all the way back to the car and park on a different level. Needless to say, it was not a pleasant experience, and the only %26quot;fun%26quot; part was saying %26quot;I told you so%26quot; to my husband since before our trip I had read warnings that Gare Montparnasse is very complicated and should be avoided. (But my hubby was so sure that HE would have no problems.)




|||



I meant to say that I had been warned on the forum to avoid Gare Montparnasse.




|||



Thank-you very much to those who replied.



The map at resaplace.com boosted my confidence, but not enough to continue with my original plan. I will drop the car at Orly instead and we will make our way to our hotel in the 7th Arrondissement from there (we will be traveling light). I have driven in big European cities before and I don’t care for it much if I don’t know where I am going.





Thanks again




|||



Wise decision, IMO.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, August 29, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment